68 John Dory Drive Ocean Grove
1955 – 1974
- Archbishop Justin Simonds blessed and opened the original weatherboard Church on The Terrace on 4th September. Builder: S.W. Kelly of Geelong.
1975 – 2000
- Archbishop Frank Little officially opened and blessed the brick extensions and renovations to the wooden church on 14th September. Construction by extraordinarily dedicated parish volunteers.
As the town expanded rapidly, after some years the much-loved church proved too small. Parking was also difficult. The church was sold. Sunday Mass was located in the “tin shed” on the school grounds. The shed was hot in summer, flooded one winter and lacked atmosphere but it was also the spiritual home of the Ocean Grove Catholics. Buying and selling of surplus land eventually made possible a spacious new church in John Dory Drive. The wave design concept is credited to Carrie Fleming. Architects: Toscano of Richmond. Builders: Lyons Construction, Geelong.
- Archbishop Denis Hart blessed and opened the new church in John Dory Drive.