101 Hitchcock Avenue Barwon Heads
- New Year’s Weekend, Archbishop Daniel Mannix blessed and opened Holy Family Church. Architect: Mr. Cyril Kelly of Geelong. Builder: Mr. Bernard Murphy of Herne Hill.Fr. John Cleary, Parish Priest of Drysdale, served this church community.
“Never since the stormy days of the Conscription Campaign in 1916, when His Grace the Archbishop visited Drysdale to open a new presbytery, had so large a gathering assembled on the Bellarine Peninsula…Special squads of traffic police, under the control of Senior Constable Thomas, controlled the motorists in Hitchcock Avenue.”
Eventually the Church passed from the Parish of St Thomas’ Drysdale to St. Mary’s Geelong; then to St.Bernard’s Belmont and finally it was passed to Holy Trinity Queenscliff.
24th April 2004
- Regional Bishop Mark Coleridge blessed the newly constructed narthex.
3rd December 2005
- Archbishop Hart re-dedicated the altar which he had given to us. The altar was too large for the Archbishop’s private chapel in his smaller house.